1894 Gregg Clarke operates the first season with canoe trips in Maine.
1897

First permanent base camp is established on Caucomgomoc Lake in Maine.

Kamp Kahkou adopted as name. 

1902 First season in Temagami.
1904 Permanent base camp is established on Devil's Is., Lake Temagami.

Camp Keewaydin gets adopted as new name.

Photo: Keewaydin base camp in 1904, Temagami Founder Clarke setting up base camp on Devil's Island in 1904. The temporary camp consisted of tipis, wall tents and flies. Several buildings were constructed through the summer.
1910 Second Camp Keewaydin is established at Dunmore, Vermont.
1911 First Bay trip travels to Moose Factory.
1921 Camp Songadeewin for girls is established on Lake Willoughby, Vermont.
1923 Ojibway Lodge forms out of Keewaydin Club.
1925

Clarke resigns as director.

Speedy Rush becomes controlling shareholder and General Director of the Keewaydin camps conglomerate (operating four camps and one lodge).

1926 Clarke dies.
1933 Enrollment temporarily plunges as Camp Wabun formed, taking staff and campers.
1938 Keewaydin conglomerate (operating eight camps and three lodges) breaks up. The Temagami camp along with Ojibway Lodge becomes an independent operation under Gunn and Creelman ownership.
1947 Thomas-Jones Foundation purchases Keewaydin and Paul's Island.
1948 Twelve-year period of new building construction and upgrades to island facilities begins under new director Chivers with funds from the foundation.
1960 Chivers purchases Keewaydin.
1975 Reimers first season as owner.
1977 Forest fire in May comes close to burning North Arm and Devil's Island.
1979 Outpost site is established at Allanwater, northwestern Ontario.
1982 Ojibway dining hall destroyed by fire and lodge is closed until 1984.
1991 Fogg & Lehrman purchase Keewaydin and Dan Carpenter becomes director.
1999 First girls section added under name Songadeewin (Camp Songadeewin had closed in 1975).

                                                                           

Photo: camper with moose meat, Keewaydin, Nottaway River, 1928

Bill Coddington, camper on 1928 Bay trip down Nottaway River in northern Quebec, hauling a moose haunch. In that era, hunting for food on trip was common practice.

KEEWAYDIN WAY:   Home   Long Trips   Outpost List

OTTERTOOTH:   Home   Rupert Battle   Rupert River   Temagami   Forum   Crees   Camps  

                          Canoes   Keewaydin Way   Che-Mun   Search   About   Contact Us

Maps and information herein are not intended for navigational use, and are not represented to be correct in every respect. 
All pages intended for reference use only, and all pages are subject to change with new information and without notice. 
The author/publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for use of the information on these pages. 
Wilderness travel and canoeing possess inherent risk. 
 It is the sole responsibility of the paddler and outdoor traveler to determine whether he/she is qualified for these activities.
Copyright  2000-2013 Brian Back.  All rights reserved.
We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of any linked document on an external site.